After some reflection after an important trip to Oaxaca, Mexico this past weekend, we’re excited to share these important updates and notes with you:
- The coffee tasted amazing. Super clean and dynamic single producers lots including some wild yet clean experimental processing techniques
- Standouts included a new-to-us La Cañada single producer, Cienfuegos, Honerato's extended fermentation 🔥, a couple new producing groups from Chiapas, and some amazing single producer lots from Miramar and Yosotatu
- Volume is way down across the country, especially in Oaxaca. We'll be transitioning our big purchases from Oaxaca to Chiapas. Time will tell if this is a permanent transition.
- Competition is way up. The secret is out and bigger sourcing/roasting companies are moving in to see what they can do. Thankfully we are very well positioned to swoop up the best of the best.
- Prices are going to be higher than ever. The only surprise is how much higher. Lower volumes and increased competition has resulted in a completely new landscape in Mexico. Expect a big jump in price across the board. Rest assured we have the best and our prices reflect an equivalent dividend passed onto the producers.